The welcome and opening service for the Uniting Aboriginal and Islander Christian Congress (UAICC) National Conference for 2009 began with joyous singing on Tuesday 30 June, 2009.
UnitingJustice Media Release (30 June 2009) The Uniting Church in Australia is the only church formally supporting a Human Rights Act in Australia. Continue reading
The Moderator of the WA Uniting Church, Rev Ken Williams, has been interviewed by The Transit Lounge e-zine as part of their June ‘Digging Deeper’ series of stories. Ken talked frankly about his controversial haircut and what he thinks are the most important things about being the pastoral leader of the WA Church. To read more visit
Year B: Pentecost 4, 28 June 2009
2 Samuel 1:1, 17-27; Psalm 130;
2 Corinthians 8:7-15; Mark 5: 21-43
Dianella Uniting Church
“Do not fear, only believe.”
Reception of Rev Dr Emanuel Audisho as Minister of the Word i the Uniting Church in Australia, 27 June 2009
Isaiah 6:1-8, John 21:15-18
Fremantle Wesley Uniting Church
Here am I; send me!
The Uniting Aboriginal & Islander Christian Congress (UAICC) will meet in Perth for their national assembly next week.
News from the General Council meeting held in June.
On Saturday UnitingCare West celebrated the opening of their new facility in Monger Street Perth as part of the Homeless Support Service. The Hon. Troy Buswell MLA, Minister for Housing and Works officially opening the building, which will provide an additional 8 beds to the 21 beds already filled in the UnitingCare West Homelessness Program. Continue reading
Presbytery & Synod of WA
General Council News
From the National Church
UnitingCare and Congregational Outreach Activities
Ecumenical & International
Jobs: Paid and Volunteer
Web of Learning
Ministry Resourcing Centre
Floreat Uniting Church is hosting the performance of the WA Opera Boutique’s Cinderella Pantomime on Friday 26 June at 7.30pm. Tickets $20 adults, $15 concession, $10 children. For more information contact the church office on (08) 9387 6371 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Noranda Uniting Church is having an afternoon of praise and music on Sunday 5 July from 2.00pm. There will also be a musical workshop led by A Capella Praise. Cost $10 (includes afternoon tea). For more information phone (08) 9275 8730.
Nedlands Uniting Church is holding a Women’s Breakfast on Saturday 1 August from 8.30am – 10.00am. Emma Matthews will be speaking on ‘How I Got Up After I Fell Down’ and sharing her story about recovering from brain injury. For more information contact Ann Bettison on (08) 9386 1770 or email email@example.com.
- Rev Elke Riekmann’s conclusion of placement will be at Presbyterian Ladies College on Thursday 25 June. The Moderator will be presiding.
- The reception of Emanuel Audisho as a minister into the Uniting Church will be at Fremantle Wesley Church at 4.30pm on Saturday 27 June. The Moderator will be presiding.
- Rev John Barendrecht will be inducted at Manning Uniting Church on Sunday 28 June at 2.00pm. The Moderator will be presiding.
- The closure of Yokine congregation will be on Sunday 28 June at 2.00pm. Ex Moderator, Rev Gemmel Sherwood will be presiding.
- The Media & Communications Unit is having a website training day on Saturday 4 July from 9.00am – 4.30pm at Glen Forrest Uniting Church. This is an opportunity for you to find out all you need to know about getting your congregation online. Computers will be available for people to work on adding information to their own website. Cost $10 (includes lunch). For more information or to register phone (08) 9260 9800 or 1300 736 692 or visit www.wa.uca.org.au/blog/does-your-congregation-have-a-website-yet/.
- Beananging Kwuurt Insitute ‘NAIDOC Day & Launch. Join members of the 2009 Uniting Aboriginal & Islander Christian Congress National Assembly at the NAIDOC week open day and official launch of the Beananging Kwuurt Institute on Monday 6 July from 9.00am – 2.00pm at 188 Treasure Road, Queens Park. Flag raising & Nyungar welcome at 10.00am followed by live music, bouncy castle, prize draw and animal farm. For more information contact Cheryl Lawson on (08) 9350 9973 or visit www.wa.uca.org.au.
Regular Reports Received
In with its regular reporting schedule, General Council received reports from UnitingCare WA, Chaplaincy Working Group and Congress/BKI.
General Council agreed to amend the Presbytery Rules relating to Regional Pastors so they could be nominated by their region and be appointed by Presbytery to hold office for a three-year term.
The changes are:
1. Amend Rule 3.4.3 (b) by adding at the end of the Rule:
Presbytery Regions will also forward suggested nominations for Regional Pastor for that Region.
2. Amend Rule 3.3.6 so that it will read:
The Presbytery will appoint a Regional Pastor for each region, to hold office for a three-year term and eligible for re-appointment.
3. Enact a new Rule 3.3.7 as follows:
The Presbytery will commission a Regional Pastor at a service held within the Region.
Restructure of Resources
Following on from a restructure of the financial, business and property areas of the Church Office into a co-ordinated Resource area, General Council agreed in principle to establish a Resources Board to encompass property, finance and insurance boards.
Robert Locke, associate general secretary (resources) was asked to work with the Church Law Committee and to bring back draft by-laws to the August meeting of General Council.
The appointment of Jane Cook to the role of Human Resources and Ministry Liaison Co-ordinator was confirmed by General Council.
General Council noted the retirement of Rev John Atkinson, and appointed a group to review the placement and form a Joint Nominating Committee to replace him as Rural Ministry Team Leader.
Rev Viv Larkin has now joined the Uniting Church Centre team and will be inducted into her role as joint associate general secretary (Pastoral) on Sunday 9 August.
Reception of Rev Dr Emanuel Audisho
Rev Dr Emanuel Audisho has been received as a minister of the Uniting Church in Australia. He has completed the required studies and General Council confirmed the decision of the Reception of Ministers Committee.
General Council agreed that the WA Stipend, the Motor Vehicle
Depreciation, the Housing Allowance and the Personal Resources and Development Grant all be ‘pegged’ at their July 2009 level throughout 2010.
This decision was made in recognition that congregations have had to absorb a number of rises over the last three years in order to bring WA up to parity with other states. The WA stipend is now in the mid range of stipends across Australia.
The General Secretary’s report to Assembly was shared with General Council and is now available on the WA Uniting Church website, www.wa.uca.org.au.
- The Uniting Aboriginal & Islander Christian Congress (UAICC) National Assembly 2009 is being held in Perth at the Trinity Residential College and Conference Centre from 29 June – 9 July. Uniting Church member are invited to join UAICC representatives from across Australia at public rallies being organised by each of the Synods. The rallies are a time of music and prayer and provide opportunities to share in fellowship with those attending the assembly meeting. The rallies will be from 7.00pm – 9.00pm on all evenings except for Monday 29 June, Friday 3 and Monday 6 July. For more information contact Cheryl Lawson on (08) 9350 9973 or visit www.wa.uca.org.au.
- UnitingJustice Australia is now on Twitter. Find them at http://twitter.com/UnitingJustice to receive daily updates on their work and reflections on the issues of the day. Alternatively visit the website at www.unitingjustice.org.au.
- The 12th Assembly is also on Twitter! Follow regular news updates both before and during Assembly. The President and some key members of the Assembly will be available to tweet (update the status) at various points during the meeting. Visit http://twitter.com/12thAssembly.
- UnitingWorld has launched an emergency appeal to respond to the ‘humanitarian crisis’ unfolding in Sri Lanka. The appeal is in response to desperate pleas for assistance from the Uniting Church partners in Sri Lanka and Sri Lankan Uniting Church members following the recent military victory over the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam. Donations can be made to UnitingWorld online at www.unitingworld.org.au or by phoning 1800 998 122. For the full media release visit www.wa.uca.org.au.
- Faith Stories is a website for a small group based journey which seeks to equip and encourage Christians to grow and share their faith. The 8- session course was written by Graham Beattie and Duncan Macleod for the Pilgrim Learning Network in the Queensland Synod. The sessions include film segments telling the faith stories of ordinary people, stimulating discussion and inspiring hope. Visit the website at www.faithstories.org.au.
- Uniting Church Homes honoured 60 West Australians for their dedication to others during their 60th anniversary of caring in the community today. One person for each year of the organisations history. An event held at Technology Park, Bentley this morning was the first of many celebrations. A celebration is being held on Sunday 12 July, 10.00am at Wesley Uniting Church.
- Oxfam World Food Crisis event. Join Andrew Hewett, executive director of Oxfam Australia and co-chair of Make Poverty History to discuss the converging impacts of the world food crisis, climate change and the financial crisis affecting poor communities, and the impossible choices they face. Thursday 16 July, 6.00pm at the Alexander Library Theatre. For more information or to RSVP email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The TEAR WA Youth Network invites young adults to Village Time ’09 on Saturday 1 August, 7.30pm at Mount Pleasant Uniting Church. An opportunity to help raise funds to buy a integrated development package for an entire village. Stalls will be open to deepen your knowledge, awareness and involvement in changing the world for good rather than evil. Confirmed artists include Andrew Winton, The Bulletholes, Tree and Reyjavik Orange. Cost $10. For more information contact Steve McKinnon at email@example.com.
- Save the Children is having its annual book sale from Friday 21 August to Wednesday 26 August under the clock tower at the University of Western Australia. Thousands of books covering all categories on sale, including CDs, tapes, sheet music etc. All prices inexpensively.
- Anti Poverty Week (Sunday 11 – Saturday 17 October). Poverty and severe hardship affect more than a million Australians. Around the world more than a billion people are desperately poor. Why not organise a display, stall, workshop, forum or fundraiser to support and raise the awareness. For more information and ideas visit www.antipovertyweek.org.au or email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 1300 797 290.
- GetUp! is an independent, grass- roots community advocacy organisation giving everyday Australians opportunities to get involved and hold politicians accountable on important issues. They need your help to send a delegation of refugees to Canberra to tell their stories about how the policy of having to pay huge bills for the ‘accommodation’ in Baxter Detention Centre. For more information visit www.getup.org.au/campaign/EndMandatoryDetention&id=675.
- The Institute for Restorative Justice and Penal Reform is hosting a public forum during NAIDOC week on ‘The Overrepresentation of Indigenous people through WA’s criminal justice system’. Come along on Wednesday 8 July at the Uniting Church in the City Queen’s Building from 12.30pm. Guest speaker is WA’s chief stipendiary magistrate Stephen Heath. For more information or to RSVP contact Marg Staff on (08) 9260 9800 or email email@example.com.
- UnitingCare West is looking for a team leader for the Rainbow Project. For more information contact Carlene Brown on 0437 900 695 or visit www.unitingcarewest.org.au.
- Good Samaritan Industries is seeking a full time retail store manager for their Perth metro store. For more information contact Debbie Cameron on (08) 9463 0500 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- FinUCAre, an outreach activity of the Mandurah and South Mandurah Uniting Churches, is holding volunteer financial counselor training. No previous counselling experience is necessary. An information session is being held on Saturday 4 July from 9.00am – 12.30pm at 1B, 99 Pinjarra Road. To register or for more information phone Amanda on (08) 9581 1282 or email email@example.com.
- The Coalition for Asylum Seekers, Refugees and Detainees (CARAD) needs volunteers. If you have some spare time and would like to assist refugees and asylum seekers to help new clients, contact Phil Sparrow on (08) 9227 7322 or email Philip@carad-wa.org.au.
- Community Midwifery Western Australia is looking for a Childbirth Educator / Project Officer. For more information phone Linda Rawlings on (08) 9430 6882 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Worship Practicum is a day designed for all who lead public worship and would like to have some supervised practice in the planning of worship services and the writing of prayers. Being held on Saturday 18 July, 9.30am – 3.00pm at Murdoch University Worship Centre and led by Dr Nancy Ault and Rev Dr Geoffrey Lilburne. A practical day for all practicing and potential worship leaders. The format will combine input sessions, practice and feedback. Cost $20 (includes lunch). For more information and to register contact Anne Watson on (08) 9360 6880.
Prayers and Liturgies of Confession and Assurance by Kenneth H. Carter, another of the Just in Time Series from Abingdon $17. This is a great book for those who prepare services of worship or for small group prayers.
Great Prayers of the Old Testament by Walter Brueggeman, WKL Books. $29.95. Brueggeman offers his wisdom on twelve moving prayers in the Old Testament.
Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson and David Oliver Relin, Puffin Books Young Readers Edition paperback, $16.95 is one man’s journey to change the world, one child at a time.
The Way I Love You by David Bedford and Ann James, Little Hare Books, $12.95. Board book for little children, illustrates care and love through the relationship between a little girl and her dog.
Together in Song (melody edition) will increase in price from $36.95 to $39.95 at the end of July. Please let Dorothy know if you are thinking of buying copies in the near future.
10% discount on these books until the end of June.
For more info contact Dorothy Carey on (08) 9260 9800 or 1300 736 692.
For the week commencing Sunday 28 June: Metro West: Methodist Ladies’ College, Presbyterian Ladies’ College, Scotch College. Please also pray for our partner churches the Evangelical Christian Church in Minahasa and Evangelical Christian Church in Halmahera.
(Please check the calendar for your church, committee or network and contact Karen Honeybun with any specific prayer requests.)
If you are planning an event for 2009 that you think would be of interest to other people in the Uniting Church community, let us know so we can put it in our calendar. We would also encourage you to contact us during your planning so you can check what other people are doing to avoid diary conflicts.
For more information on these events visit www.wa.uca.org.au/home/events-diary/
- Thursday 25 June. Rev Elke Riekmann’s conclusion of placement at Presbyterian Ladies’ College.
- Friday 26 June, 7.30pm. Cinderella Pantomime at Floreat Uniting Church.
- Saturday 27 June, 9.30am. Budget Conference at the Uniting Church Centre.
- Saturday 27 June, 4.30pm. Reception of Emanuel Audisho at Fremantle Wesley Church.
- Sunday 28 June, 2.00pm. Rev John Barendrecht’s Induction at Manning Uniting Church.
- Sunday 28 June, 2.00pm. Service of Thanksgiving and Disbandment at Yokine Uniting Church.
- Monday 29 June – Thursday 9 July. UAICC National Assembly in Perth.
- Tuesday 30 June, 7.00pm. UAICC Western Australia rally at Trinity Residential College and Conference Centre.
- Wednesday 1 – Sunday 5 July. National Gathering of the Australian Research Institute for Desert Spirituality at “White Gums”, Alice Springs.
- Wednesday 1 July, 7.00pm. UAICC Northern Territory rally at Trinity Residential College and Conference Centre.
- Thursday 2 July, 7.00pm. UAICC Congress Youth rally at Trinity Residential College and Conference Centre.
- Saturday 4 July. Mid West Regional Gathering at Silverdale Olive Orchard, 130 Melaleuca Road, Dongara.
- Saturday 4 July, 9.00am. Website Training Day at Glen Forrest Uniting Church.
- Saturday 4 July, 9.00am. FinUCAre information session at 1B, Pinjarra Road, Mandurah.
- Saturday 4 July, 2.00pm. Rev Brenton Prigge’s induction at Busselton Uniting Church.
- Saturday 4 July, 7.00pm. UAICC South Australia rally at Trinity Residential College and Conference Centre.
- Sunday 5 July – Sunday 12 July. NAIDOC Week.
- Sunday 5 July, 9.00am. 99th Anniversary celebrations at Pinjarra Uniting Church.
- Sunday 5 July, 2.00pm. Afternoon of praise and music at Noranda Uniting Church.
- Sunday 5 July, 7.00pm. UAICC New South Wales rally at Trinity Residential College and Conference Centre.
- Monday 6 July, 9.00am. Beananging Kwuurt Institute NAIDOC Day & Launch at 188 Treasure Road, Queens Park.
- Tuesday 7 July, 7.00pm. UAICC Victoria and Tasmania rally at Trinity Residential College and Conference Centre.
- Wednesday 8 July. Metro Central Regional Gathering.
- Wednesday 8 July, 12.30pm. NAIDOC public forum at Uniting Church in the City Queens Building, Perth.
- Wednesday 8 July, 7.00pm. UAICC Queensland rally at Trinity Residential College and Conference Centre.
- Friday 10 July, 7.30pm. Byford Uniting Church Family Dance at Byford Shire Hall, cnr South West Highway & Clifton Street, Byford.
- Sunday 12 July, 8.00am. 155th Anniversary Celebrations at Gingin Uniting Church.
- Sunday 12 July, 10.00am. Uniting Church Homes 60th Anniversary celebration at Wesley Uniting Church.
- Wednesday 15 July, 10.00am. Joint Friends of Frontier Services and Uniting Church Mission Fellowship meeting at Wesley Uniting Church Guild Room, Perth.
- Wednesday 15 July – Tuesday 21 July. 12th National Assembly in Sydney.
- Thursday 16 July, 6.00pm. Oxfam World Food Crisis event at the Alexander Library Theatre.
- Saturday 18 July, 9.30am. Worship Practicum at Murdoch University Worship Centre.
- Sunday 20 July, 10.00am. Big Day In at Dunk’s Coffee Shop, Newdegate.
- Saturday 25 July. Metro East Regional Gathering at Guildford Wesley Chapel.
- Friday 31 July, 10.00am. Australian Church Women Fellowship Day at Victoria Park & Districts Star Street Uniting Church.
- Saturday 1 August. South West Regional Gathering at Manjimup Uniting Church.
- Saturday 1 August, 8.30am. Women’s Breakfast at Nedlands Uniting Church.
- Saturday 1 August, 10.00am. Metro North Regional Gathering at Noranda Uniting Church.
- Saturday 1 August, 7.30pm. Village Time ’09 at Mount Pleasant Uniting Church.
- Thursday 6 August. Hiroshima Day.
- Saturday 8 August. Great Southern Regional Gathering at Wagin Uniting Church.
- Saturday 8 August. Metro South Regional Gathering at Kardinya Uniting Church.
- Monday 10 August. General Council Meeting.
- Friday 14 August, 7.30pm. Byford Uniting Church Family Dance at Byford Shire Hall, cnr South West Highway & Clifton Street, Byford.
- Saturday 15 August. Great Eastern Regional Gathering at Mukinbudin Uniting Church.
- Wednesday 19 August, 10.00am. Uniting Church Mission Fellowship meeting at Wesley Uniting Church Guild Room, Perth.
- Thursday 20 August, 10.30am. Retired Ministers Fellowship Group meeting at Manning Uniting Church.
- Friday 21 – Wednesday 26 August. Save the Children Book Sale at the University of WA.
- Saturday 22 August, 7.00pm. Bible Society’s 125th Anniversary Dinner
at Government House Ballroom.
- Tuesday 25 August. UCAF WA Annual Fellowship Day at Guildford Wesley Chapel.
- Friday 28 August. Daffodil Day.
- Sunday 30 August. Refugee and Migrant Sunday.
- Monday 7 September. UCAF South West Region Fellowship Gathering at St Augustines Uniting Church, Bunbury.
- Friday 11 September, 7.30pm. Byford Uniting Church Family Dance at Byford Shire Hall, cnr South West Highway & Clifton Street, Byford.
- Wednesday 16 September, 10.00am. Uniting Church Mission Fellowship meeting at Wesley Uniting Church Guild Room, Perth.
- Thursday 17 – Friday 18 September. Wildflower Exhibition at Busselton Uniting Church.
- Saturday 19 – Sunday 20 September. Annual Meeting of Presbytery and Synod of WA.
- Saturday 26 – Monday 28 September. PNEUMA Camp Fire at Lake Yealering.
- Sunday 27 September. Social Justice Sunday.
- Thursday 8 – Thursday 15 October. John Bell visit to Western Australia.
- Friday 9 October, 7.30pm. Byford Uniting Church Family Dance at Byford Shire Hall, cnr South West Highway & Clifton Street, Byford.
- Saturday 10 October. World Mental Health Day.
- Sunday 11 – Saturday 17 October. Anti Poverty Week.
- Friday 16 October – Sunday 18 October. National Seminar on Word & Music in Worship at Wesley Uniting Church Canberra.
- Wednesday 21 October, 10.00am. Uniting Church Mission Fellowship meeting at Wesley Uniting Church Guild Room, Perth.
- Friday 23 – Sunday 25 October. Rural Ministry Gathering.
- Saturday 24 – Sunday 25 October. Back to Moora Weekend.
- Monday 9 November, 9.30am. Friends of Frontier Services meeting at the Frontier Services office, Midland.
- Wednesday 11 November. Remembrance Day.
- Friday 13 November, 7.30pm. Byford Uniting Church Family Dance at Byford Shire Hall, cnr South West Highway & Clifton Street, Byford.
- Wednesday 19 November, 10.00am. Uniting Church Mission Fellowship meeting at Wesley Uniting Church Guild Room, Perth.
- Tuesday 1 December. World Aids Day.
- Thursday 3 December. International Day of People with Disability.
- Thursday 10 December. Human Rights Day.
- Friday 11 December, 7.30pm. Byford Uniting Church Family Dance at Byford Shire Hall, cnr South West Highway & Clifton Street, Byford.
- Sunday 13 December. 125th Anniversary Celebrations at Dongara Uniting Church.
- Friday 25 December. Christmas Day.
You are invited to join members of the 2009 Congress National Assembly at the NAIDOC week open day and official launch of the Beananging Kwuurt Institute.Come for the flag raising and Nyungar welcome, and enjoy the festivities including live music, bouncy castle, prize draw and animal farm.
When: Monday, 6th July
Time: Open day from 9AM-2PM. Flag raising & Nyungar welcome at 10am.
Where: Beananging Kwuurt Institute, 188 Treasure Road, Queens Park
For more information, contact Cheryl Lawson or Murray Yarran on (08) 9350 9973.