The Commission for Education for Discipleship and Leadership (CEDAL)
As its September 2009 Annual Meetings, the Synod and the Presbytery of Western Australia affirmed as “a central purpose the achievement of a culture in which formation for faith and discipleship becomes ‘prized, appreciated and accessible’”. To this end, the Synod and the Presbytery established the Commission for Education for Discipleship and Leadership (CEDAL) as “a single body to build an informed and integrated learning community directed to the mission of God”.
CEDAL is responsible for providing education to members to enable them to grow in faith, discipleship and leadership; oversight of theological education for the specified ministries of the UCA (Lay Preacher, Pastor, Deacon and Minister of the Word) according to guidelines set by the Assembly; mentoring of ministers during Phase 3; and providing and promoting continuing education for ministers.
Perth Theological Hall is the Theological College established by the Synod and approved by the Assembly for providing training for ordained ministries. It works in partnership with the Anglican Church within the Perth College of Divinity within the school of theology of Murdoch University.
Rev Dr John Squires has been appointed as the Director of Education and Formation from 1 February 2017. He has oversight of lay and continuing education as well as being Principal of Perth Theological Hall.
To keep up to date with CEDAL events you can subscribe to SEEDS a monthly electronic bulletin for lay leaders and ordained ministers which outlines upcoming educational events in WA and interstate. To subscribe or for information on coming events email firstname.lastname@example.org
Coming events include
- Summer Spirit– Feb 25 2017- Being Church in New Ways, at Floreat UCA
- Safe Church Training– March 7 and March 9 at Mt Pleasant UCA
- Code of Ethics Overview for Ministers– March 8, Mt Pleasant UCA
- Preachers Update on Matthew and John– March 16, Willetton or online
- Kids Camp Out– March 17-19 at Advent Park, Maida Vale
- Building a Missional Church Intensive– March 22-23, Maylands- Mt Lawley
- Foundations of Transitional Ministry Intensive– March 29-31- Brisbane
Bev Fabb (Chairperson)
E: email@example.com Rev Dr John Squires (Director of Education and Formation)