Gingin was first settled around 1850 and soon after this a group of Methodists started meeting.
The first service was conducted in July 1854 at the homestead “Creaton”, by the Rev William Lowe, who travelled the 50 miles from Perth on horseback. At this service, nine children were baptised.
In 1869, Thomas James Jones, who lived in the little cottage in Weld Street (now Mrs Jones cottage) and then over the road at the Granville (now [email protected]), surrendered part of his land of SL262 as a gift to the Wesleyan Church. Charles Masters was engaged to build the Church and the clay to make the bricks was obtained from the gully on the other side of Weld Street.
The Church was completed in 1870 and a visiting clergyman, Rev McInnes conducted services.
The Uniting Church Western Australia acknowledges the Traditional Custodians of the lands and waters on which we live and work. The Uniting Church Centre sits on the lands of the Wadjuk Nyungar people and we pay our respect to their Elders past, present and emerging. We acknowledge the Nyungar people as the sovereign First Peoples of this place.