The Uniting Church in Australia was formed in 1977, with the amalgamation of the Presbyterian, Methodist and Congregational Churches (more information about Uniting Church in Western Australia can be found on our website).
A fantastic opportunity has risen for a permanent Executive Officer: Communications to join our team at the Uniting Church in Australia, Synod of WA, to tell the story of the church and its people. This position will be based at the Uniting Church Centre in East Perth.
The Communications Unit assists the Uniting Church in Western Australia (UCWA) to tell its story internally and externally. Whether it is a congregation’s op-shop assisting those in need, a celebration of multicultural diversity, a heart-warming connection between generations, a protest calling for human rights or climate action, the Uniting Church WA has some beautiful and important stories to tell.
The Executive Officer: Communications is responsible for:
- Strategically curating and creating high-quality visual and written communications to assist UCWA.
- Managing all digital and print platforms related to UCWA, including the website, social media, weekly New & Notes (e-newsletter), and the triannual Revive magazine publication.
This role will be responsible for the management of the unit and will be involved in the following areas (among others):
Telling the Story
- Content creation – stories should be well written or created using clear, simple language and following the UCWA Style Guide. Stories may be either for internal or external use; or perhaps both. Produce content, both written and visual, for the appropriate audience on the appropriate channels.
- Story sharing – support Uniting Church congregations, the Social Justice Unit, and other Uniting Church entities to share their stories.
- Research, write and produce written and visual content to be shared on the UCWA website and social media platforms.
- Compile the weekly UCWA News & Notes e-newsletter using Campaign Monitor.
- Strategically curate, develop, maintain, and moderate the UCWA social media content and marketing campaigns for our social media platforms.
- Maintaining oversight of the quality of print and electronic publications produced by the Uniting Church Presbytery and Synod of WA, so they reflect high standards of professional integrity and meet the needs of Uniting Church members.
- Updating and maintaining [WordPress] UCWA website content to reflect current UCWA content.
- Designing UCWA collateral as requested in accordance with UCWA’s Brand/Style Guide.
- Offering strategic support and encouragement to the Secretariat and Moderator to create a public voice for the Church.
The right candidate for this role will have excellent written and visual communication skills with the ability to communicate clearly and effectively for a variety of audiences. High-level computer skills are essential, including Microsoft Office, Campaign Monitor, image editing, and video editing (eg. Adobe Creative Suite and Canva).
The right candidate will also possess highly developed interpersonal and communication skills, be organised, be able to use initiative to solve problems and enjoy working autonomously whilst being a team player.
This position will provide the right candidate with a personally fulfilling role, working for an organisation that makes a difference in the lives of others and values its employees.
Please email a cover letter outlining why you believe you are the best candidate for this specific role together with your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have any questions regarding the role or to request a copy of the full Position Description please contact Andrew Liepins, People and Culture Manager, at email@example.com.
While there is no closing date for applications, we will be reviewing applications as they are received, and will be deciding when we believe we have the right candidate.