If you’re thinking about making changes to your property, be it selling, purchasing, extending, refurbishments or even adding a garden keep reading.

The content in these pages should answer your questions as well as giving access to the forms that you need to fill in to get everything started.

A common question when it comes to property is ‘Who ultimately owns the property?’

All property is a ‘common wealth’ of the whole church and is owned by the Property Trust of WA. However just as every trust has a beneficiary, in this case that beneficiary is the Church who gains the benefit of the property to use for God’s mission. This is called the “Beneficial User”.

It is necessary to note that the church is not a corporate entity; it is a voluntary association of individuals meeting together for worship and a variety of other related purposes. To facilitate its organisational and civic responsibilities a legal entity has been created, the Uniting Church in Australia Property Trust (W.A.), this is itself established by an Act of the Western Australian Parliament, the Uniting Church in Australia Act No. 139 of 1976.

Provided the members and councils of the church conduct their business in accordance with the Regulations and By-laws of the Church and they act legally they have the protection of the Trust established by the Constitution of the Church and the Act.

The Regulations and By-laws describe the specific responsibilities of each of the inter-related councils of the church in so far as property matters are concerned. Here in WA the Presbytery responsibilities have been delegated to the Property Services Committee, although the Strategy and Mission Planning Commission has a significant role to play in ensuring that property decisions of church councils are within local and wider church strategic plans.

To find out more about Property Process use the Links on the top left of the page to navigate or if you want to talk to a real person refer to the contacts on the bottom left of the page.

Want to talk to someone about your ideas?

The Property Services Unit is available to assist any congregation with property matters by providing consultation and advice relevant to their particular needs.

Ian Healey
(08) 9260 9800 or 1300 736 692 or by email:

Sandra Ackoy
(08) 9260 9829 or by email:



Home Property Procedures  |  Where do I start?  |  Forms | Important Dates | Property Trust